brighten up your day
Mondays can be a drag for obvious reasons, yes, even for the unemployed because looking for a job is a full time job and for my own sanity (and the people around me) I give myself “off” on the weekends. Therefore, Monday is still back to the daily grind for me which is looking for jobs to apply to, agonizing over my resume, writing cover letters from scratch for the most part, proofreading, researching or preparing for an interview. It’s always great to have something to look forward to on Monday and I will admit, since The Bachelor ended my Mondays have been quite blah with the exception of today where it was hot and beautiful and sunny and I went to the beach in April, see here!
As I was brainstorming up some ways to brighten up and cure the mondays I thought I’d write some ideas and why not share them here, too.
1. Cup of coffee or a pot of tea. Must. Have. Coffee. Always, everyday my almond milk latte with honey make me happy and I’ll never give it up. I also really love green and herbals teas they are soothing and relaxing to drink especially out of my yellow tea pot.
3. An at home manicure/polish change. Lately, I’ve been changing my nail polish every 2-5 days which at first I felt was me being indecisive but now I would say that I’m just curious and colorful. I’ve invested in all the typical manicure tools and an at home manicure is an instant mood lifter for me. Need nail inspiration? I just found Eva over at Miss Renaissance and I’m loving her manis!
4. Candles and flowers. Flowers and candles are pretty and smell nice and just really make for a great and relaxing atmosphere. I’m guilty of pairing these with a glass of Pinot Noir while painting my nails. Can’t beat it.
5. A great playlist. If you’re a music person which some are not but I very much am, music can be the different between a horrible and a great mood. When I was working and commuting in Australia, if I had a great playlists or new music to listen to, I kid you not I looked forward to the bus ride home. I’m working on a killer country music playlist right now for summer – suggestions very welcome :)
6. Try a new hairstyle. Mondays would probably be a great day to try out a new hairstyle or ‘do because if it’s great then Monday is great and if it turns into a bad hair day then hey, it’s Monday anyway. I look to Pinterest and bellaMUMMA for hair inspiration and tutorials.
7. Change up your wallpaper. Change your desktop background or iPhone background to something new that really inspires you be it words, a beautiful nature shot, someone you admire, a beautiful fashion shot, anything. I do this often, you’d be surprised the difference it can make it in your day.
8. Phone/skype a friend. Chatting with friends is always mood boosting even if it’s just a short chat and sometimes I even find it fun to send emails! Sometimes you just need to vent or let something else know what’s happening good or bad to make you feel better.
10. Exercise! Saved the best for last. This is the best thing you can do for yourself and to give your mind and body a boost on your least favorite day (mine’s actually Tuesday) or during a rough or stressful time. Also, for me, starting out my week with exercise and good nutrition sets the tone for the rest of the week so sweat it out and smile :)
I’m super curious to hear what everyone else does as a fun (and cheap or better yet, free) cheer me up day brightener!